October 21, 2009

One week for FRU board


Indra Singh
www.fijitimes.com - Wednesday, October 21, 2009

FIJI Rugby Union president Ro Filipe Tuisawau has given his board until the end of the week to change its mind before formally asking for the Prime Minister's office to intervene.

Tuisawau wants acting chief executive Keni Dakuidreketi, who is facing corruption charges, removed from office.

The Rewa chief has hit out at the board for refusing to accept the resignation of Daku-idreketi.

Tuisawau has been a vocal critic of Dakuidreketi since earlier this year.

"I understand that the board will meet again this week and I am hopeful that they will reconsider Keni's case given the concerns," Tuisawau said.

"Failing that I will formally ask the Prime Ministers office to intervene.

"After that, I will envisage a joint meeting with the board, convened by the Government to agree on a way forward.

" I am sure that the outcome will be positive for all. We will then progress from there."

Dakuidreketi refused to be drawn into the debate but said Tuisawau should follow the right channel.

"It is obvious from the start that Ro Filipe does not want me here and wants me removed," Dakuidreketi said.

"He must have his reasons but if he has some issues, than he should come to the board and talk about the issues at hand."

Prime Minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama has also called for the resignation of Dakuidreketi, who faces charges lodged by the Fiji Independent Commission against Corruption.

Dakuidreketi said he was upset by calls for his resignation.

"I'm saddened that I've been found guilty by the highest law of the land even before the trial," he said.

It is still unclear if Dakuidreketi will travel on the end-of-the-year tour.

No comments: